Monday, 6 October 2014

WRITING A PERSONAL STATEMENT || TIPS

Hello my friends. If you’re planning on going to uni in the UK next year you’re probably starting to think about your personal statement and how to write it. Two years ago I was in the same position but it was January and I only had a few days to write what is supposed to be an important part of your application. I had no drafts and had never heard of it  as I was planning on going to university in Spain. I’m not gonna say I wrote an A+ piece because I didn’t but I think it was pretty good and, well, it got me into the uni I wanted. Hopefully, you all will have plenty of time to write a few drafts and get other people to check it for you and stuff. However, even if you have all the time in the world, here you have some tips that  might help you.



1.The hardest part for me was the first few sentences. I din’t know how to start, what to say first because ‘I wanna do that because of that’ doesn’t seem the best way to tell a university that has thousands of applications to choose you. What I did was starting by quoting a chemist (because I study chemistry) and explaining why I liked that quote.

2. Point out all your virtues, even if you think they are not very related to your degree, who knows, they might be important to whoever is reading your personal statement or you might not know they do matter to study your degree. 

3. Don’t point out too many virtues. Of course you want to make yourself look good but not to the point where it sounds fake. If you spend your whole personal statement saying how amazing you are you might sound a bit egocentric or they might think you’re making some things up (and people don’t like liars).

4. Don’t worry too much. I think what made my personal statement ‘special’ or good enough was that I did NOT know it was important, I had never heard of it so I was not aware of its importance and therefore I didn’t take it too seriously and I just wrote what I truly felt and din’t make it too formal. So if you think your drafts won’t make the cut, just relax and write the first thing that comes to your mind!

And these are my tips to write a personal statement, if you are applying to university I wish you all the luck in the world and don’t worry, everything will turn out okay!  
post signature
SHARE:
© RAWR BOWS.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig